Queenbee Pro Machine
At a glance
- Advanced complete redesign of Workbee to incorporate linear rails, heavier components
- Available in 1000×1000 mm only
- We do not recommend or sell the 1500×1000 or 1500x1500mm kits because we believe them to be inferior machines
- NEMA23 Enhanced Torque Motors (1.9Nm, 269 oz/in.)
- Screw Drive on X,Y, Z Axes with Tingle Tension System on X and Y axes eliminates lead screw whip at high speeds.
- Double router mount available
- Electronics sold separately for kits
- Mechanical parts Kits (motors included) Starting at $2395.00
- Much stiffer rails, thicker 10mm plates, raised Z axis 2″, smooth accurate linear rail/bearing motions system
- We can also supply these machines fully assembled and tested!
- Kits do not include spoil board, some items in photos may be options
- Available sometime in March, 2021
Click on the orange bar to expand the accordion for more info!
The Workbee is a robust CNC router platform. The QueenBee Pro is a complete redesign of the WorkBee with the latest performance enhancements designed to improve accuracy, reliability, and capacity. It is made entirely of extruded aluminum sections with good strength and rigidity, enhanced over the WorkBee design with added extrusions for rigidity, thicker plates for increased strength, and the replacement of all the polycarbonate wheels with high precision linear rails and bearing carriages. A redesigned base with front and back full width legs and enhanced support provides stability, and C-Beam extrusions form the axis tracks.
The kits include all mechanical parts needed for the machine, including enhanced torque 1.9 Nm NEMA 23 motors. The machine also incorporates the Tingle Tensioning system, a method for keeping the lead screws in tension, virtually eliminating lead screw whip at high speeds.
The X-Z axis carriage has 2 linear rails with 4 bearing carriages each to support the X and Z axes. These linear rails replace the outdated wheel system of all previous OB designs. Not only are they more accurate, with less play, but they are smoother and nearly frictionless. The hardened steel rails are bolted to the extrusions using dozens of small screws to distribute the load. These rails add a significant amount of stiffness to the extrusions. Additionally an extra extrusion is bolted to the back of the X axis c-beam rail to increase stiffness even more.
The Y axis carriages are based on thicker 10mm plates, with 4 linear bearing carriages riding on 2 steel rails per side. This dramatically increases strength, along with additional extrusion inserts in the Y axis c-beam for even more stiffness. The Y carriage plates have the X beam mounting holes moved back to give the machine more useable machinable area.
The Z-Axis C-Beam extrusion is 250mm in length, with a travel of nearly 140mm. The Z axis is supported by its own 4 carriage linear rail system. The Z-Axis actuator is lead screw driven by a top mounted stepper motor. A 71mm heavy router mount is an option to use a Bosch Colt or a Dewalt Router. A 65mm router mount is also available to mount Makita routers and some DC spindles. An 80mm mount is available for 1.5 and 2.5 Kw VFD spindles as well. Double router mounts can also be accommodated for extra strength.
An MDF spoil board is mounted in the bottom of the frame. (Not included). The spoil board is bolted to the frame around the perimeter to enhance strength and rigidity.
- Bed area Sizes available: 1000x1000mm
- Active area 1000x1000mm – Approx 840x755x140mm
- Screw drive with Tingle Tensioning System on X,Y axes
- includes Enhanced 265 Oz-in NEMA 23 motors
- All mechanical parts included
- Electronics package not included
These Chinese kits are just as good quality as the OB kits. They do not include wiring kits, cable chain, and some other minor parts like bed mounting hardware and router mount. The OB wiring kit is set up to connect to the Black Box controller, it is not really compatible with other controllers. A full OB kit with wiring, homing, power supply, Black Box, and motors is available.
- Full assembly, calibration, and testing
- Dewalt DWP611 router, variable speed, soft start, 1/4″ chuck OR ***Dewalts on factory backorder until at least March 2021
- Makita router, RT0701 variable speed, 1/4″ chuck
- Double Router mount – specify router type when ordering – double router mount for extra strength
- Electronic Homing / Limit Switch Package (only on fully assembled machines)
- Cable chain kit, 1 – 15x30x1000mmm, 1 – 10x15x1000mm with mounting hardware (OB kits come with Cable Chain)
- Z probe – Z only, or XYZ
- Full Electronics package available for kits
- Router on/off remote control module
- Dust Boot
- Power Line Conditioner – protects electronics from noise and damage (Highly recommended, Required for warranty coverage on Turnkey machines)
- Prices subject to change without notice.
- Prices subject to fluctuation in US/CDN dollar conversion.
- Prices do not include taxes or shipping and handling.
- All pricing FOB Calgary, Alberta
- Pricing for these items is preliminary and may change*
These are Chinese made kits and are imported directly from China. Delivery times are typically 2 weeks but Covid protocols may cause delays in shipping.
- 1000x1000mm kit of mechanical parts (including enhanced torque motors) screw drive * $2395.00 CDN
- Complete OB Electronics Package, with BB controller, Power Supply w/PowerCase, all wiring, and 3 homing switches $599.00 CDN
- Cable Chain Kit – 15x30x1000mm, 10x15x1000mm, mounting hardware $65.00 CDN
Fully Assembled and Tested
3D Tech has its own integrated electronics package that we use with all fully assembled machines. It mounts directly on the back of the X axis to minimize wiring and to protect the electronics. It is much more comprehensive than the OpenBuilds Black Box system, and is much more robust as well. It is capable of adding a fully electronic Homing/Limit switch system which is much more reliable and accurate than the OB micro switch homing. We use separate stepper drivers, and custom printed circuit boards for more reliability. Unlike the BB system, the control USB port is completely optically isolated from the machine motor electronics and all control inputs and outputs. This ensures that your laptop will survive a catastrophic motor controller failure, unlike the OB BB. It also uses individual motor drivers that can be replaced for around $50, unlike the BB which you would need to purchase a whole new $275 module if something fails. Our system also has much better motor current control, optically isolated inputs and outputs for switches and relays, and an E-stop which the OB BB does not.
- 1000x1000mm Fully Assembled and tested (router not included) *$3895.00CDN
Includes: Fully assembled, tested, and Calibrated machine with spoil board. Does not include router or other accessories.