OpenBuilds Sphinx Kits
At a glance
- Available in 500x500mm, 500 x 1000mm
- NEMA23 Motor, Screw Drive on X,Y, Axes, Lead Screw Z Axis
- Available as Kit only
- Kits (motors included) Starting at $1895.00
- (Note: Some photos include optional extras)
- Electronics, Router, and other options extra
- Spoil board not included
More Detailed Information
The Sphinx is a moving gantry design. Designed by Kyo, an OB contibutor, this platform is an interesting design, available in 500 and 1000mm widths. This allows it to fit on a standard workbench. It is made entirely of extruded aluminum sections with good strength and rigidity. A sturdy base with bottom mounted full width legs provides stability, and C-Beam extrusions form the axis tracks. The V-groove profile provides very good rigidity with little weight. The kits include all mechanical parts needed for the machine, including standard NEMA 23 motors. Travel is somewhat less than the overall length to allow for width of the carriage, etc.
The Y-Axis rides on a pair of 6 wheel carriages on the c-beam extrusions. Each carriage has 8 inner wheels that ride inside the C-Beam, and an additional 2 wheels that ride on top to further reinforce the carriage. The Y – Gantry plates are custom parts There are 2 actuators for the Y axis for better support and stability.
The wide wheel spacing provides maximum strength and stiffness, while allowing the carriages to move freely. The 4 pairs of wheels on each gantry plate are supplemented by an additional 2 pairs on top of each gantry plate set The Z axis is supported by 8 internal wheels. The X axis is supported by 8 wheels running on the outside of the extrusion.
Motors are mounted on the integral plates on the back of the c-beams, with the screw drive also running inside the c-beam pocket and protected from debris.
The X-Z axis carriage rolls over the c-beam extrusion connecting the side c-beams, with a screw drive system. This beam is very strong. There are 2 sets of double v-wheels that roll on top of the track for strength, and two sets of double wheels on the bottom of the X-Axis carriage. The wheels connect a pair of gantry plates front and back of the track extrusions for added strength and stiffness. The end gantry plate mounts the stepper drive motor for the screw drive. The front gantry plate mounts the 8 internal v-wheels for the Z-Axis traveller.
The Z-Axis C-Beam extrusion is 250mm in length, with a travel of a little over 100mm. The Z axis is supported by 8 internal widely spaced v-wheels. The Z-Axis actuator is lead screw driven by a rear mounted stepper motor using a belt drive to reduce height. NEMA 23 motors are used throughout give additional torque for heavier spindle motors. A 71mm heavy router mount is an option to use a Bosch Colt or a Dewalt Router. A 65mm router mount is also available to mount Makita routers and some DC spindles
An MDF spoil board is mounted on the flat base. (Not included with kits). The spoil board is bolted to the base extrusions to enhance strength and rigidity. The kit can be enhanced by adding a full aluminum bed which enhances stiffness, ease of mounting work, and allows the use of mist cooling/lubrication for cutting harder materials.
- 500x1000mm, 500x500mm overall footprint, or 500x1000mm
- Active area (Sphinx 1050) – 830mm (X) x 330mm (Y), x 75mm (Z) approx, or Spinx 55 – 415mm x 330mm x75mm
- Max workpiece height – approx 57mm
- screw drive
- includes Standard 175 Oz-in NEMA 23 motors
- Power consumption 350W max.
- All mechanical parts included
- Electronics package not included
- Basic accuracy .001-.004″ or .05-.1mm
- Dewalt DWP611 router, variable speed, soft start, 1/4″ chuck
- Makita router, RT0701 variable speed, 1/4″ chuck
- Router11 spindle, similar to Makita, 1hp, 4 ER-11 collets, var. spd., soft start, 110v or 220v
- Router mount – specify router type when ordering
- Full Limit Switch Package
- Z probe – Z only, or XYZ
- Mid Torque motor upgrade – 1.9 N/m (50% more than standard)
- Dust Boot
- Full electronics package available – includes BB controller, power supply with power case, homing switch kit, wiring kit, cable chain, motors
- All Black extrusions
- Prices subject to change without notice.
- Prices subject to fluctuation in US/CDN dollar conversion.
- Prices do not include taxes or shipping and handling.
- All pricing FOB Calgary, Alberta
- Sphinx 1050 – 500x1000mm kit of mechanical parts (including motors) screw drive $2095.00 CDN
- Sphinx 55 – 500 x 500mm kit if mechanical parts (including std motors) screw drive $1895.00 CDN
- Complete Electronics Package starting at $495.00CDN