OpenBuilds Lead Machine Kits
At a glance
- Available in 1000x1000mm
- NEMA23 Motor, Screw Drive on X,Y, Axes, Lead Screw Z Axis
- Electronics not included
- Kits (motors included) Starting at $1695.00
- (Note: Some photos include optional extras)
- We can also supply any of these machines fully assembled and tested!
- Wiring Kit compatible with OB Black Box Motion controller included
Click on the orange Accordion Menus below for more information
The Lead Machine is a robust CNC router platform. Designed by OpenBuilds, this platform is revolutionary in that it is made entirely from stock OB parts, there are no custom plate sets in this machine. This keeps the construction simple and robust. It is made entirely of extruded aluminum sections with good strength and rigidity. A sturdy base with front and back full width legs provides stability, and C-Beam extrusions form the axis tracks. The V-groove profile provides very good rigidity with little weight. The kits include all mechanical parts needed for the machine, including standard NEMA 23 motors. Travel is somewhat less than the overall length to allow for width of the carriage, etc.
The Y-Axis rides on a pair of 8 wheel carriages on the c-beam extrusions. Each carriage has an inner stiffener plate to further reinforce the carriage. The Y – Gantry plates are stock OB parts, with a unique feature – the vertical supports for the X axis are not custom plate,s but 20x80mm v-slot extrusions. Not only is this stronger than a flat plate, but it also allows for vertical adjustment of the X/Z axis position. The axis can be lowered for increased stiffness, or raised to allow machining of thicker materials.
The wide wheel spacing provides maximum strength and stiffness, while allowing the carriages to move freely. The 4 pairs of wheels on each axis plate are usually sufficient, but an additional 2 pairs can be added to each gantry plate set if desired for additional stiffness. Also, the Z axis is supported by 4 wheels, two more can be added for improved robustness. The additional wheel kits with all mounting hardware are available as an option.
Motors are mounted on the integral plates on the back of the c-beams, with the screw drive also running inside the c-beam pocket and protected from debris.
The X-Z axis carriage rolls over the c-beam extrusion connecting the side gantry plates, with a screw drive system. This beam is very strong. There are 2 sets of double v-wheels that roll on top of the track for strength, and two sets of double wheels on the bottom of the X-Axis carriage. The wheels connect a pair of gantry plates front and back of the track extrusions for added strength and stiffness. The end gantry plate mounts the stepper drive motor for the screw drive. The front gantry plate mounts the 4 vertical v-wheels for the Z-Axis traveller.
The Z-Axis C-Beam extrusion is 250mm in length, with a travel of a little over 100mm. The Z axis is supported by 4 widely spaced v-wheels. The Z-Axis actuator is lead screw driven by a top mounted stepper motor. NEMA 23 motors are used throughout give additional torque for heavier spindle motors. A 71mm heavy router mount is an option to use a Bosch Colt or a Dewalt Router. A 65mm router mount is also available to mount Makita routers and some DC spindles
An MDF spoil board is mounted in the bottom of the frame. (Not included with kits). The spoil board is bolted to the frame around the perimeter to enhance strength an rigidity. The kit can be enhanced by adding an additional support rail for the spoil board, one is included, a second is available as an upgrade.
- Bed area 1000x1000mm, overall footprint
- Active area – Approx 730x810x100mm
- Max workpiece height – approx 50mm
- screw drive
- includes Standard 175 Oz-in NEMA 23 motors
- All mechanical parts included
- Electronics package not included
- Basic accuracy .001-.004″ or .05-.1mm
- Full assembly, calibration, and testing
- Full Black Extrusions option
- Dewalt DWP611 router, variable speed, soft start, 1/4″ chuck
- Makita router, RT0701 variable speed, 1/4″ chuck
- Router mount – specify router type when ordering
- Full Limit Switch Package
- Z probe – Z only, or XYZ
- Mid Torque motor upgrade – 1.9 N/m (50% more than standard)
- Full Electronics package available
- Router on/off remote control module
- Dust Boot
- Wheel upgrade kit adds 14 additional wheels with mounting hardware to increase overall strength significantly
- Prices subject to change without notice.
- Prices subject to fluctuation in US/CDN dollar conversion.
- Prices do not include taxes or shipping and handling.
- All pricing FOB Calgary, Alberta
1. 1000x1000mm kit of mechanical parts (including motors) screw drive $Call
OpenBuilds Kit Includes: kit of all mechanical components including motors, router mount w/LED light ring, and Black Box compatible wiring kit with Homing switch package, does not include electronics, power supply, router, or spoil board
- 1000x1000mm kit of mechanical parts (including motors) screw drive $2195.00CDN
- Black Box controller $250.00CDN
- Power supply with PowerCase kit $125.00CDN
- Wheel Upgrade kit – includes 14 wheels + hardware to upgrade to full capacity $150.00CDN
Fully Assembled and Tested
- 1000x1000mm Fully Assembled and tested (router not included) $3195.00CDN
- As above with wheel upgrade kit installed $3345.00CDN
Includes: Fully assembled, tested, and Calibrated machine with spoil board. Does not include router or other accessories