OpenBuilds C-Beam XL Kits
At a glance
- Available in 500 x 1000mm
- NEMA23 Motor, Screw Drive on X,Y, Axes, Lead Screw Z Axis
- Available as Kit or fully assembled*
- Kits (motors included) Starting at $1600.00
- (Note: Some photos include optional extras)
- Electronics, Router, and other options extra
The C-Beam XL is a moving table, fixed gantry design. Designed by OpenBuilds, this platform is a hybrid size, giving the full 1000mm width with only a 500mm depth. This allows it to fit on a standard workbench. Moving table machines are slightly stiffer than moving gantry machines. It is made entirely of extruded aluminum sections with good strength and rigidity. A sturdy base with front and back full width legs provides stability, and C-Beam extrusions form the axis tracks. The V-groove profile provides very good rigidity with little weight. The kits include all mechanical parts needed for the machine, including standard NEMA 23 motors. Travel is somewhat less than the overall length to allow for width of the carriage, etc.
The Y-Axis rides on a pair of 8 wheel carriages on the c-beam extrusions. Each carriage has an inner stiffener plate to further reinforce the carriage. The Y – Gantry plates are stock OB parts, with the spoil board bed mounted on top. There are 2 actuators for the Y axis for better support and stability.
The wide wheel spacing provides maximum strength and stiffness, while allowing the carriages to move freely. The 4 pairs of wheels on each axis plate are usually sufficient, but an additional 2 pairs can be added to each gantry plate set if desired for additional stiffness. The Z axis is supported by 6 wheels. The additional wheel kits with all mounting hardware are available as an option.
Motors are mounted on the integral plates on the back of the c-beams, with the screw drive also running inside the c-beam pocket and protected from debris.
The X-Z axis carriage rolls over the c-beam extrusion connecting the side c-beams, with a screw drive system. This beam is very strong. There are 2 sets of double v-wheels that roll on top of the track for strength, and two sets of double wheels on the bottom of the X-Axis carriage. The wheels connect a pair of gantry plates front and back of the track extrusions for added strength and stiffness. The end gantry plate mounts the stepper drive motor for the screw drive. The front gantry plate mounts the 6 vertical v-wheels for the Z-Axis traveller.
The Z-Axis C-Beam extrusion is 250mm in length, with a travel of a little over 100mm. The Z axis is supported by 6 widely spaced v-wheels. The Z-Axis actuator is lead screw driven by a top mounted stepper motor. NEMA 23 motors are used throughout give additional torque for heavier spindle motors. A 71mm heavy router mount is an option to use a Bosch Colt or a Dewalt Router. A 65mm router mount is also available to mount Makita routers and some DC spindles
An MDF spoil board is mounted on the Y axis actuators. (Not included with kits). The spoil board is bolted to the actuator plates to enhance strength and rigidity. The kit can be enhanced by adding a full aluminum bed which enhances stiffness, ease of mounting work, and allows the use of mist cooling/lubrication for cutting harder materials.
- 500x1000mm, overall footprint
- Active area – 750mm (X) x 330mm (Y), x 75mm (Z) approx
- Max workpiece height – approx 50mm
- screw drive
- includes Standard 175 Oz-in NEMA 23 motors
- All mechanical parts included
- Electronics package not included
- Basic accuracy .001-.004″ or .05-.1mm
- Full assembly, calibration, and testing available
- Dewalt DWP611 router, variable speed, soft start, 1/4″ chuck
- Makita router, RT0701 variable speed, 1/4″ chuck
- Router mount – specify router type when ordering
- Aluminum extrusion bed – only for fully assembled machines
- Electronic Homing Switch Package
- Full Limit Switch Package
- Z probe – Z only, or XYZ
- Mid Torque motor upgrade – 1.9 N/m (50% more than standard)
- Full Electronics package available
- Router on/off remote control module
- Dust Boot
- Wheel upgrade kit adds 12 additional wheels with mounting hardware to increase overall strength significantly
- Full electronics package available – includes stepper drivers, power supply, motion conroller module, mounting plate, dust cover, remote E-stop, all cable chain, all mounting/assembly hardware
- Prices subject to change without notice.
- Prices subject to fluctuation in US/CDN dollar conversion.
- Prices do not include taxes or shipping and handling.
- All pricing FOB Calgary, Alberta
- 500x1000mm kit of mechanical parts (including motors) screw drive $1600.00CDN
Includes: kit of all mechanical components including motors, does not include electronics, power supply, router mount, router, or spoil board
- 500x1000mm Fully Assembled and tested (router not included) $2995.00CDN
Includes: Fully assembled, tested, and Calibrated machine with spoil board. Does not include router mount, router, or other accessories.6008